Applications DBA (SQL)
Direct Hire – Remote Opportunity
The Application DBA is responsible for installing, configuring, and supporting databases, data structures, and data flows that support applications with a focus on data integrity, reliability and security. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with developers, system/network administrators business stakeholders, and external vendors when implementing new systems, during migrations and supporting existing systems. The Application DBA will work as an integral member of the IT Data Services team, contributing to Data Services and supporting database infrastructure and providing guidance on design, development, performance and optimization. They will need to be proactive and take ownership of our data environment. Implement, document, and enforce data best practices across the department.
· Install, configure and setup database systems, implement security for Authentication(LDAP), Authorization, Firewall, Audits.
· Configure backups, establish and verify recovery time objectives for database restore processes, and setup database maintenance tasks.
· Ongoing monitoring, analysis, and optimization of SQL stored procedures, application queries and database systems.
· Troubleshoot and resolve database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, connectivity issues, and security issues.
· Collaboration with business owners, stakeholders and technical resources on solution design, task estimation, and project planning.
· Attend project meetings to gather and analyze application requirements and recommend solutions.
· Database administration support for application development, configuration, and deployment activities.
· Assisting Application Developers with creating queries and database functions, provide guidance on performance and optimization.
· Provide self-help methods, guidance and training to Applications teams to assist with performance issues, design and development.
· Contribute and assist the development team with developing, testing and QA of data driven applications.
· Performing administrative, maintenance, monitoring, and performance tuning tasks on the database.
· Identifying and applying proactive solutions and corrective measures to minimize downtime.
· Planning a short term and long-term strategy for optimizing and enhancing our various data environments consisting of SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Snowflake.
· Lead migration of on-premise data to cloud, consolidation of databases and upgrading existing systems to new database versions.
· Help IT teams and stakeholders understand database features, build proof of concepts to demo the functionality build awareness across the teams.
· Strong understanding of Cloud concepts, Database as a Service model, Distributed Database and VLDB concepts like sharding, compression, partitioning, replication and scaling
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline.
Five or more (5+) years of database administration and development experience supporting application development teams and projects
· Strong analytical, presentation, and problem-solving skills with ability to identify solutions.
· Automate Database Administration tasks using at least one scripting language like PowerShell or Python
· Grocery or Retail experience a plus